Watching the news show a segment about someone robbing a bank, taking a hostage or shooting up a school reminds us there is power in our choices. Moments before the crime was committed, they were just another person living life like the rest of us, then they made a choice that affected their life and the lives of countless others. They did something big that would change the course of time forever.
We have that same power to influence the world, but in a positive way of course, without robbing a bank. The only difference is it’s harder because it takes time and discipline. If being featured on a newscast was your goal, you could take two different routes.
1. Rob a bank and hold a hostage
2. Start a movement to bring about positive change in the world and influence others to do the same.
I want to choose the second option, of course, but how? How do I change my own life much less the lives of those around me? The good news is that finding the answer to that question is easy, but actually implementing the answer is hard.
This is what I believe are the steps to achieving change in my own life so I can ultimately change the world around me-
- Identify what is wrong in your own life (this shouldn’t be too hard. My list is rearing it’s ugly head around every corner. However, there are several things that want to hide.)
- Start chipping away at those things (for me, a biggie is being judgmental. So, I need to cut it out at the root. Quit pointing out what is wrong with everyone else.)
- Start with a mission in mind. (you can’t just say, “I want to influence others”, or “I want to make the world a better place”. You MUST have a goal to work towards.) Ex. Wanting to bring about awareness in the area of human trafficking and reduce it’s hold on society. THAT is a goal you can work towards.
- Follow examples of others. Look to others who have and are achieving greatness and change in life and begin to “do what they do”. Chances are they are doing things “on purpose”.
Question: Do you have a goal? Do you have a mission? What change do you want to bring about in life?
You may not want to necessarily be on the evening news, but the effects of your influence can be endless and impact the lives of countless others.